Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Alexander, Morgan County, Illinois
Established in 1909
Alexander, a little town of three hundred inhabitants, is situated on the Wabash railroad, twenty-four miles west of Springfield, in the heart of a fertile corn-raising country. Hard road No. 10 passes through it, thus giving easy access to the larger neighboring cities of Springfield and Jacksonville.
The few Catholics in and around Alexander prior to its institution as a separate parish, were first attached to New Berlin and later to Franklin. In the Spring of 1908, the faithful of Alexander petitioned Right Reverend James Ryan, D.D., Bishop of the then Alton Diocese, for permission to erect a church in Alexander. The felt that the journey to Franklin was long and difficult, and they were confident in their ability, as an organized congregation, to build and support a church of their own. These reasons were no doubt the deciding factors in their petitioning the Bishop to establish a separate parish with a resident priest. On being shown good cause, the Bishop granted their request and authorized Reverend William Weigand, then stationed at New Berlin, to organize a new parish and build a suitable church at Alexander.
Work was begun on the new church in 1909, but was temporarily halted by the strong objects of the Franklin people who claimed that the establishment of this new congregation resulted in an unfair and detrimental dismemberment of the Franklin parish. Their objections, however, were finally over-ruled after a careful analysis by the higher authorities, and so work was again resumed and the building completed in early 1910.