Church of St. Sebastian, Waverly, Morgan County, Illinois
Established in 1858
Waverly was first visited by a priest from Carlinville, Illinois, in 1857. In 1858 through the efforts of the leading members and the Bishop of Alton, a congregation was organized, and they purchased the Methodist house of worship which was afterwards known as St. Sebastian Church of Waverly, Illinois. It then became an annex of New Berlin under charge of Reverend Francis X. Schreiber. In 1873 it was attached to Virden and in 1886 to Franklin.
To Waverly once belonged most of the Catholics of Franklin district, and there most of the older members received instructions for First Holy Communion and Confirmation. It claims a long line of distinguished and now veteran members of the priesthood of Springfield Diocese, among them: Very Reverend Timothy Hickey, late Vicar General of the Diocese; Very Reverend Jeremiah Murphy, R.D., St. Patrick’s, Decatur; Reverend Patrick Joseph O’Rielly, St. Joseph’s, Springfield; Reverend Michael J. Davis, pastor of Athens and Cantrall; later Reverend Thomas McGrath, Illiopolis; Reverend Francis Bernard Kehoe, St. Patrick’s, Alton; Reverend P. R. McCauley; Reverend Lawrence J. Ryan, Farmersville; Reverend Amos Emil Giusti, D.C.L., Assistant Chancellor of the Diocese.
Waverly as is evident is one of the older parishes of the Diocese, and has had what might be called a checkered career, having been attached at different times to New Berlin, Franklin, Virginia, and Greenfield. In 1925, it was again attached to Franklin with Reverend E. D. Butler in charge.